ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pain on the outside of my knee?

Question

Why do I have pain on the outside of my knee?

Twisted my knee kind of funny when I was walking the other day when I stepped in a hole. Now the outside of my knee has sharp pains from time to time. What did I do to my knee? Where's this pain coming from?

Answer

I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor as soon as you can. They can examine your knee and help you determine whether or not you may have sustained damage to the knee when you twisted it that might require further medical treatment. The most common type of knee injury caused by twisting would be a sprain, which is stretching or damage to the ligaments of the knee. Symptoms of a sprain include pain and swelling around the knee. In severe sprains there may also be trouble putting weight on the involved leg and there may be looseness in the knee joint itself. Your doctor will be able to examine the knee for any evidence of severe ligament damage or joint looseness. If they detect any of these severe signs, they may want to perform x-rays or other imaging studies of the knee, and they will likely refer you to a sports medicine or orthopedic doctor for further evaluation. If, on the other hand, the knee seems relatively intact with out major injury, then they will probably recommend anti inflammatory medications for a few days together with rest until the knee is feeling better. Good luck!