Is Botox really a safe way to get rid of wrinkles?

My wife is in her late fifties and is becoming very self conscious about her wrinkles. Now she wants to do Botox. Is this safe? I want her to be happy but I don't want her to risk her health either.
Botox is an injectable medication made from the botulinum toxin. This toxin works by paralyzing muscles cells; in the case of wrinkles on the face, when the muscles are paralyzed they cannot exert tension on the overlying skin, which tends to result in improvement in the appearance of age lines. When used in the hands of a reputable and experienced dermatologist or other specialist, Botox can be safe. The most common side effects from Botox are similar to those from any form of injection - bruising or bleeding at the site of the injection, and a small risk of infection where the needle is inserted. Theoretically, the Botox may spread throughout the body and exert its dangerous paralyzing effects on muscles that are more important for supporting life than the facial muscles. Although the chance of this is exceedingly rare, any person who is getting Botox injections should know that they need to seek immediate medical attention if they notice any signs of muscle weakness or trouble breathing or swallowing. If your wife is interested in more information on Botox, then the best thing would be to set up an appointment with her dermatologist, who can answer all of your questions in more detail!

Nearby Dermatologists