Why do I have severe acne on the sides of my neck?

Have severe acne but it is only on the side of my neck. Well, both sides of my neck. The pimples are large and painful. What should I do? Will this eventually clear up or is it time to see the dermatologist?
If you have persistent severe acne, especially if the pimples are very large and painful as you describe, then it is definitely time to see a doctor. Both your primary care doctor and your dermatologist should be able to help you deal with this problem. While waiting for your appointment, you should continue to use a good skin cleansing regimen, but avoid picking or squeezing at the large pimples, as this will potentially lead to infection and is more likely to cause permanent scarring than anything else. Once you go to see your doctor, they will be able to assess which medications to start you on. Most of the time, the first prescription treatments for acne involve a combination of antibiotic and other topical creams. In the more severe cases, oral antibiotics may also be used. Followup with your doctor after the initial treatments will be absolutely essential, as the acne often gets a little bit worse before it gets better, and because it is often necessary to change around the exact types of medications you are using until good results are achieved. Start by making a doctor appointment today! They will be able to help you deal with this issue.

Nearby Dermatologists