Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What's this throbbing sound in my ears?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat's this throbbing sound in my ears?


hard to explain this but there is a throbbing sound in my ears almost all the time. It is like a heartbeat almost but it also feels like my ears kind of move or swell. Hard to explain it. Does this sound like something or am I just nuts?


I recommend that you make an appointment with an otolaryngologist, or ENT (aka Ears Nose Throat doctor), to get checked out. Here is why, and what I an thinking: From what you have described "throbbing sound in my a heartbeat...all the time" I think that you may be experiencing something called pulsatile tinnitus. Tinnitus is a word that we use to describe noise that is in your ears (commonly referring to "ringing", or "buzzing"). Pulsatile tinnitus implies that the ringing coincides with your heartbeat. Most of the time when this happens, it is no big deal, and it is nothing to worry about. However, rarely this can happen when there are certain vascular malformations in the ear, or when there is a vascular tumor growing in the ear. One specific tumor is called a "glomus tumor". You need to get a good ear exam, and maybe have some further testing done. I hope that this answers your question, and I wish you all the best.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.