ZocdocAnswersAre cortisone shots the best way to deal with plantar fasciitis?

Question

Are cortisone shots the best way to deal with plantar fasciitis?

I have plantar fasciitis and my doctor says I should think about cortisone shots to deal with it. Is this the best way to handle my plantar fasciitis?

Answer

Plantar fasciitis is a condition in which the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot in front of the heel bone becomes inflamed. This is generally an over use injury, caused by poorly supporting shoes or standing on your feet for prolonged periods of time. It is also more common in those with abnormalities of the foot arch, such as low arches ("flat feet") or in over pronators (a common problem in some runners). There are several different ways to deal with plantar fasciitis, starting from most simple and going towards least simple. To start with, most doctor will recommend switching away entirely from any sort of shoe that does not have good arch support. In addition to this, refraining from vigorous physical activity while things heal up is important, and taking an anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen can relieve the pain. If these measures do not work, then it is common to try some stretching exercises to relieve tightness in the achilles tendon and strengthening exercises to improve the tone of muscles in the foot arch. Finally, if these do not work, then things like cortisone injections are commonly employed. Therefore, the answer to your question depends a lot on how severe your symptoms are and what you have already tried! Talk to your primary care doctor for help deciding what to do next.