ZocdocAnswersCould my sinus congestion be related to my diet?

Question

Could my sinus congestion be related to my diet?

I swear that when I eat certain foods my nose gets really stuffy and congested. Could I be allergic to food and it affects my sinuses? This doesn't seem like it is possible.

Answer

Food allergies are one of the most common medical problems in the world. It is possible to be allergic to a wide variety of different foods, and food allergies can develop at any point in life, although they are more common in childhood. If you are eating a food that you are allergic to, this could provoke a range of symptoms. Mild food allergies might cause hives (red itchy patches on the skin), or they may cause itching and redness of the eyes or stuffiness of the nose. In other words, it is possible that the symptoms you are experiencing are from a food allergy. I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue if you have not done so already. They will be able to examine you and take a detailed history and help figure out whether or not your symptoms are from an allergy or from another cause entirely. In the meantime, it would be best to avoid any foods that you have identified as causing these symptoms. If you develop any severe allergy symptoms, which would include swelling of the face and tongue, wheezing, and trouble breathing you should seek immediate medical attention in an emergency room. See your doctor soon!