ZocdocAnswersAre my headaches related to my hair loss?

Question

Are my headaches related to my hair loss?

Going bald kind of runs in my family and now it is starting to hit me. The back of my head is getting thin. I noticed though that as the hair is falling out I'm also getting headaches more often. Is there any connection?

Answer

Especially given the fact that hair loss runs in your family (I am assuming that you are a male here, based on the question's context), and that the type of hair loss that you are experiencing fits the general pattern that is seen with hereditary male pattern baldness, I think it is quite unlikely that your headaches have anything to do with your hair loss! However, this doesn't mean that you shouldn't have your headaches checked out, especially if they are persistent or worsening. Going to see your primary care doctor for a thorough check up would be a good place to start. There are several different types of headaches that your doctor will consider. The two most common are tension headaches and migraine headaches, which each have different symptoms. Tension headaches tend to be more in the neck and sides of the head and cause a steady pain. Migraine headaches tend to be more pulsing in nature and also often have other symptoms such as nausea or visual changes. Rarely, new headaches are a sign of a serious neurological problem, such as a brain tumor. This is a possibility which your doctor should be able to rule out at your visit. Good luck.