is chronic fatigue syndrome caused by something else?

My doctor is concerned that my constant tiredness could be chronic fatigue syndrome. Is this caused by another condition or do you just get CFS out of nowhere?
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble with chronic fatigue. Persistent tiredness is a symptom that should be evaluated medically, as you are doing with your doctor, as sometimes the fatigue comes from a treatable source. Chronic fatigue syndrome is one cause of chronic fatigue, but it is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that other causes of the fatigue should be investigated and ruled out first. These other causes of fatigue would include conditions like inflammatory arthritis, anemia, and problems with the thyroid gland. Usually these conditions can be ruled out quickly with a physical examination by your doctor together with simple blood tests. If your doctor has already done these tests and if they have come back negative, then this would explain why they are considering a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. Unfortunately, chronic fatigue syndrome is very common and it can come on relatively suddenly. Generally speaking, there are no effective medications that can be used to treat chronic fatigue syndrome, although some counseling techniques as well as exercise programs have been shown to be of some benefit. Please talk to your primary care doctor about this issue. I am sure they will work to help you start feeling better!