ZocdocAnswersWill this red spot on my neck ever go away?

Question

Will this red spot on my neck ever go away?

Had a mole removed on my arm and now there is a red spot where it was that won't go away. It has been almost 8 months since I had it removed. The spot is sort of raised too. Will this ever go away?

Answer

After you have a mole removed, or in fact after any other trauma or minor surgery to the skin, it does take a while for the skin to heal. The initial scar will tend to be red or pink, and this will tend to fade over time to a color that blends into the surrounding skin a bit better. The initial scar may also be a bit raised or puckered, but this should also smooth out over time. However, since it has been now 8 months and you are still noticed that things are not improving, it would be worth while going back to see either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist just to make sure that things are continuing to heal as expected. The fact that you are noticing that the spot is 'raised up' suggests to me that you may developing a keloid, which is a reaction of the skin in which the scar tissue continues to grow and pile up, leading to a cosmetically undesirable 'bulge' of tissue above the skin. If you are developing a keloid, this can often be treated either by applying a pressure dressing over the scar or by injecting medications into the scar to help it thin out. Please see your doctor soon!