ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a lump in my throat all of the time?

Question

Why do I have a lump in my throat all of the time?

I have this lump in the back of my throat all of the time. It is like the feeling when you are really stressed out but it does not go away. And I'm not stressed out either but that is definitely the feeling. Why would it be there all of the time?

Answer

I recommend that you make an appointment to see an otolaryngologist, or ENT (Ears Nose Throat physician). They are probably best suited to figure out what might be going on that would give you this sensation. They will likely take a thorough history, and do a focused physical exam, including a laryngeal exam. The medical term for what it sounds like you may be experiencing is "globus". This term refers to the sensation that you have something stuck in your throat when there is actually no physical obstruction present. One of the most common causes of "globus" sensation is something laryngopharyngeal reflux. In this disorder, gastric contents reflux from the stomach into the esophagus, and eventually make it all the way up to the larynx (voice box). The lining within the larynx is not made to resist gastric contents at all, and any acid that makes it up can be very irritating to the larynx. This is commonly experienced as a "globus" sensation. This condition is relatively easily diagnosed by an ENT by laryngeal exam with either a mirror, or a fiberoptic scope that can be passed through your nose. It is generally relatively easily treated with a prescription medication that is generally well tolerated. There are of course many other causes of globus, but this is one of the most common, and an ENT will be able to help sort out what might be going on. I hope that this was helpful, and I wish you all the best.