ZocdocAnswersWill getting an air purifier stop me from getting headaches?

Question

Will getting an air purifier stop me from getting headaches?

Have these chronic headaches that my doctor said could be because of something in my house. He said maybe get an air purifier. Would that really help my headaches? Can something in the air give me headaches all the time?

Answer

I think the answer to this question depends on what the overall cause of your headaches is. If you suffer from migraines or tension headaches, it is hard for me to imagine exactly what an air purifier will do for you, unless one of the triggers for your migraine is a strong smell that could be potentially eliminated from the air in your house by the filter. This is a great question for your primary care doctor. However, if the source of your headaches is chronic head pressure from nasal allergies or sinus congestion, then an air purifier could definitely play a role in relieving your symptoms. This is because nasal allergies and chronic sinus congestion are often related to breathing in indoor allergens like mold or mites or pet dander. These substances can be partially removed from the air by an air filter unit, potentially helping to relieve your symptoms. If you do suffer from these allergies, it is unlikely that an air filter alone will completely remove your symptoms, however in combination with medications to fight the allergy, it could definitely play an important role. You should talk to your primary care doctor for an evaluation and diagnosis of your symptoms. Good luck!