ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have pressure in my head after my sinus infection?

Question

Why do I have pressure in my head after my sinus infection?

had a sinus infection that got cleared up a week ago but i have weird pressure in my head now. it is on the right side and i would say it is right above my ear. is it from the sinus infection? never had any kind of feeling quite like this.

Answer

In order to understand what I think might be going on, you must first understand something about the pathophysiology of sinonasal disease. The sinuses are lined by mucosa which is a lining that normally functions to secrete mucous, swell and regress to permit or obstruct airflow as is needed for the normal physiology of the nose. However when there is an infection present, the mucosa can swell more than is physiologically normal, and the outflow tracts of the sinuses can be obstructed, leading to a build-up of mucous and a pressure sensation in the affected person on that side. Even after the infection has cleared, it can take a number of weeks for all of the inflammation to subside, and allow "normal" flow of mucous within the sinuses and the nose. So it is not uncommon for someone to experience "sinus pressure" a while after the infection has cleared. That is my best guess as to what is going on in your case. However an ENT (Ear-Nose-Throat) physician will be able to examine you and tell you if that is in fact what is going on. I hope this is helpful and I wish you all the best.