Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I just have a groin strain or something else?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I just have a groin strain or something else?


Slipped on a wet floor and stretched out really funny on one side. Now I have a dull ache in my groin. It is a dull pain so I didn't think it was bad. Just a strain. Am I right? Could it be something worse and I don't know it?


I am sorry to hear about your injury! It does sound like you may have injured a groin muscle. A groin strain or a groin pull is an injury in which the muscle is excessively stretched, usually due to an accident just like the one you describe. When this happens, there is inflammation inside the muscle, which can lead to pain and stiffness. Most of the time, a groin pull or strain is not a major medical problem, and it will heal with rest and anti inflammatory medications. However, it is never a bad idea to go see your primary care doctor about the issue. They can examine you and confirm the diagnosis of the groin pull. They can also rule out any other more serious injury. The can give you some advice about what types of physical activity you should avoid, and for how long, as the injury heals. Finally, they can help you decide what other forms of treatment you should use, such as gentle stretching exercise, heat or cold, and anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen. I expect that, if you follow your doctor's advice, you should be getting back to feeling relatively normal within a few days.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.