Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why do I have a sharp pain in the center of my hand?

There is a sharp pain in the palm of my hand that keeps showing up. If I stretch my hand really wide it seems to go away. But then a few hours later it is back. Something wrong with my muscles or tendons maybe?
If this pain is persistent, I would definitely suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. They can take a look at the area of pain and help you figure out what to do. Most of the time, pain in this part of the hand is from an over use injury, such as typing on a computer keyboard for long periods of time. The repetitive strain produces inflammation in the tendons of the muscles, called tendonitis. After the tendon becomes inflamed, the area can be quite painful, especially when performing the action (such as typing) that produced the strain injury in the first place. The most common tendons that become inflamed in the hand are those at the inside base of the thumb, which often will feel like pain right in the lower to middle part of the palm. If your doctor confirms the diagnosis of tendonitis, or another repetitive use injury, they will typically ask you to rest the hand as you are able. They also may give you a prescription for an anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen or naproxen. Sometimes, they will also recommend that you use a wrist splint to speed healing. Go see your doctor at your convenience!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)