ZocdocAnswersIs there some kind of cure for gastritis?

Question

Is there some kind of cure for gastritis?

I feel like I have done everything possible but still can't get my gastritis to go away. I don't want to go the rest of my life using antacids and things like that but that's all that really seems to help. Is there any cure for gastritis or is it just something I have to deal with forever?

Answer

Gastritis, or inflammation of the stomach, is a common problem encountered in the primary care setting. There are many different causes of gastritis, including non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (such as ibuprofen), alcohol, bacterial infection (typically Helicobacter pylori), excess acid production, and autoimmune disease. Each of these different causes can lead to inflammation and abdominal discomfort or pain, but it is important to remember that there are a lot of other causes of abdominal pain other than gastritis. You should talk to your doctor regarding your abdominal symptoms. If a diagnosis of gastritis is suspected, then your doctor can help identify the underlying cause through a detailed medical history and physical exam. High-dose acid blockers (medications known as proton-pump inhibitors) and changes in lifestyle and diet can go a long way in resolving gastritis symptoms. Additionally, blood/breath/stool testing can be done to help detect H. pylori and ensure that an infection isn't contributing to your pain. If your symptoms persist despite these measures, then referral to a gastroenterologist for an upper endoscopy can be made. With the endoscopy, the stomach lining can be directly visualized and biopsied if necessary to help confirm a diagnosis and help establish the underlying cause. Please see your doctor soon.