ZocdocAnswersCould a change in my diet help with my morning sickness?

Question

Could a change in my diet help with my morning sickness?

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and having some serious morning sickness problems. Could a change in my diet help? Is there anything you can eat that will make morning sickness easier to deal with?

Answer

Morning sickness affects as many as 75% of pregnant women and can range from mild to severe. Morning sickness is actually a misnomer as it lasts all day long for many women. The good news is that it frequently disappears at the end of the first trimester, which is only a week away for you so hang in there. Nausea is often made worse by having an empty stomach so one of the most important things you can do to combat the queasy feeling is to keep your stomach full. Keep bland food such as crackers (saltines are a favorite) on your nightstand and munch a few as soon as you wake up in the morning before even getting out of bed. Eat many small meals throughout the day instead of three large meals. Try to have protein throughout the day as this will keep you full longer. Try taking ginger or a Vitamin B6 supplement along with your prenatal vitamins to help the nausea. If you are having aversions to certain foods just avoid them all together. Talk to your obstetrician about your morning sickness and other remedies he or she might have for you.