ZocdocAnswersCould having surgery on my knee give me pain in my thigh?

Question

Could having surgery on my knee give me pain in my thigh?

I had surgery to repair a broken patella. After doing the physical therapy and healing up completely I've developed some pain in my thigh on the same side I had the surgery. Could it be related to my surgery or the broken patella?

Answer

First of all, I am glad to hear that you have recovered pretty well from your recent surgery and that things are getting back to normal! Since it sounds like your surgical issues have mostly resolved completely at this point, I think it is unlikely that the pain in your thigh is directly related to the fact that you had surgery, in the sense that it is not likely to be an infection or other surgical complication. However, the pain could be indirectly related to the surgery. For example, it is very common for people to be a little weak after a surgery like this, and there can be some imbalance in the recovery of the strength of the various muscle groups in the leg. This, together with any residual stiffness or pain, can lead to a funny walking posture or other form of strain on the muscles in the thigh, leading to soreness or pain such as what you are experiencing. Especially if the symptoms persist, I would recommend that you discuss the issue with the orthopedic doctor who performed the surgery, as they should be able to give you some advice on what to do. Alternatively, talk to your physical therapist soon. Good luck.