Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why does my stomach always feel like it is churning?

I have bad stomach churning. It feels like liquid is moving around in my stomach and it is making a lot of noise and it doesn't matter if I have eaten recently or not. Is there something that could make my stomach too active? Something I need to change in my diet?
The sensation of your stomach churning could be due to many different causes. Your symptoms could be due to gastritis, or inflammation of the stomach, which could in turn be due to several different etiologies: infection, overproduction of acid, alcohol, or medications (such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). "Stomach churning" due to excess acid may be helped by certain medications and avoiding certain foods, such as fruits and sodas containing high levels of acids themselves. Alternatively, your symptoms may be the result of excess gas in the intestinal tract. If you are also experiencing some abdominal discomfort associated with either constipation or diarrhea, with the discomfort typically being relieved by bowel movements, then irritable bowel syndrome is another possible cause. To help get to the bottom of your symptoms, you should talk to your primary care doctor. With a thorough medical history and physical exam, he/she should be able to pinpoint the cause of your symptoms and suggest some concrete ways of approaching and treating your discomfort. If needed, blood tests can be done to rule out bacterial infection of the stomach, and to ensure that you are not experiencing chronic blood loss as a result of longstanding inflammation in the stomach. Please talk to your doctor soon!
Have further Questions? See a doctor!