ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do if allergy medication doesn't work on me?

Question

What can I do if allergy medication doesn't work on me?

Had some issues with allergies this summer that are still going on. Doctor said to take an over the counter antihistamine but it has had no effect. What can I do if the medication isn't working? Is there any other way to help deal with allergies?

Answer

Since you are still experiencing significant allergy symptoms, despite trying an over the counter anti histamine, i would recommend that you go back to see your primary care doctor again for more advice. Usually, allergy symptoms can be gotten under control, but it does often require playing around a bit with the different medications that are available. For example, sometimes certain individuals do not have a very good response to one anti histamine medication but will do better on another. Your doctor can talk to you about the different anti histamines that are available and help you decide whether you should try a different one. Additionally, sometimes it is necessary to add a different medication. For example, in cases of nasal allergies, an inhaled steroid spray, which works directly and locally on inflammation in the nasal passages, can be very helpful. Additionally, some people will benefit from irrigation of the nose and sinuses with a saline solution on a regular basis to help remove mucus and allergen particles. Start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor. They can evaluate the current severity of your allergy symptoms and help you decide what to do next. I hope you are feeling better soon!