ZocdocAnswersShould my knee still hurt almost two months after I strained a ligament?

Question

Should my knee still hurt almost two months after I strained a ligament?

Strained the MCL ligament in my right knee about two months ago. I rested and did everything the doctor said and she said it should be better by now. It still feels weak though and I don't know what to do. Is it possible that I should have had surgery but my doctor didn't know it?

Answer

First of all, I am sorry to hear that you are still having pain in your knee and that things haven't seemed to have healed up as well as you had hoped. At this point, since you are still having significant weakness in the knee, I would recommend that you see a specialist about the problem, if you have not done so already. Although most cases of knee injury do not require specialist evaluation or treatment and can be managed by a primary care doctor (it sounds like this is who has been managing your case), when the pain or weakness persists more than a few months after the injury it is often quite helpful to get the specialist involved. This could be either an orthopedic surgeon or a sports medicine specialist in your case. In addition to performing an examination of your knee to see what might be going on, the specialist might also decide to perform additional imaging, such as an MRI of the knee. This imaging can provide detailed information about what persistent inflammation or injury might be in the ligaments of the knee and help to guide the discussion about whether surgery or another treatment is needed at this time. Good luck, and see your doctor soon.