ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for your toes to feel cold after you sprain your ankle?

Question

Is it normal for your toes to feel cold after you sprain your ankle?

I sprained my ankle pretty bad and it is now swollen. My dad says it is not broken. Now I am getting a cold feeling in my toes on that side and my foot feels a little cold too. Is this normal? Is it just a side effect of the ankle swelling up so much?

Answer

I would definitely recommend that you see your primary care doctor about this. I always recommend that any significant ankle sprain be checked out, mostly because it is important to make sure, from a medical perspective, that there are no broken bones or severely damaged ligaments. When the ankle swells up, it is common for there to be some coolness in the foot. You are right that, generally speaking, this tends to be the result of the swelling itself, and it tends to improve over time as the swelling goes down. However, with a severe ankle injury, it is possible to damage blood vessels or nerves running to the foot, and this can be a serious problem requiring immediate medical attention. Your doctor can examine the foot and make sure there is no evidence of this. Your doctor will be also able to determine if your ankle is badly enough sprained that you need crutches or a brace. In the most severe cases, they may want to have you see a sports medicine or orthopedic specialist for follow up to make sure things are healing well. They can also give you a prescription for pain medication to help you stay comfortable.