Is it possible to not have enough salt in your diet?

I barely eat any salt because I don't want to have trouble with my heart or bad blood pressure. But can you get too little? Does your body need salt or am I doing the right thing with my no salt or really low salt diet?
First of all, congratulations on thinking about your heart health and trying to reduce the amount of salt in your diet. It turns out that most individuals in the United States consume quite a bit more salt than is necessary for health, greatly increasing their risk of high blood pressure and other cardiovascular conditions. Although you are right that salt is an important substance that the body needs to maintain normal functioning of the circulation, kidneys, and other important system, it turns out that the amount of salt that is natural found in unprocessed foods is quite sufficient for all of these needs. In other words, there is no danger in avoiding all additional salt added to the diet, nor in cutting out all processed foods with a high concentration of salt. You will still end up getting enough salt in your diet, as long as you otherwise are eating in a healthy and balanced way. You should also talk with your primary care doctor about this issue, and about any other issues related to healthy eating and the prevention of cardiovascular and other disease. They will be happy to answer any questions you might have!