ZocdocAnswersWhat would cause my foot/feet to go to sleep while driving?

Question

What would cause my foot/feet to go to sleep while driving?

About 5 years ago I had an EVLT in both legs followed by schlero for vericose veins. When driving or riding in a car I stop every 2 hours and walk. Still my right foot, sometimes both feet go to sleep while driving. Sometimes it happens so suddenly that I barely have time to pull off the road. I'm a 52 year old healthy female.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your problem. Most of us will experience some symptoms of our feet, legs, or arms falling asleep at different times. Usually, we can all explain this by pointing to something that we have done to cause compression of the nerve that is involving the area where the numbness and the tingling occur, such as lying on our arm in the wrong way for too long, sitting with our legs crossed, etc. In your case, it sounds like even just sitting is enough to cause the problem. While you do have a history of varicose veins, it is not likely that your treatment is enough to have caused this problem, although it is possible. More likely, there is some sort of compression on your nerve higher up. Although you don't mention this same problem when you are sitting at other times, I would be interested to know if you have this symptom at any other time. If so, I would worry that you may be either affecting your nerves at some point between your spine and your foot or that you have some sort of problem with the nerve itself. Please speak more to your doctor about your symptoms.