ZocdocAnswersCould I be pregnant if the test says I'm not?

Question

Could I be pregnant if the test says I'm not?

i am a 17 year old girl, my periods havent been normal since july 2011. the last intercourse i had with my boyfriend was unprotected, and over the past 7 months my periods have went from being 7 days long to only 2 and a half to 3 days, i have been constipated for months and only once every month i can actually take a crap, ive gained about 20 pounds, ive had to urinate every half hour, and ive had weird food craving for popcorn, chinese, noodles, rice, etc. what could be causing all this if not pregnany?

Answer

Your story is a very complicated one, and demonstrates that you have a need to speak with your doctor soon to make sure that you are well. There are many possible explanations that could be causing your symptoms, and pregnancy is certainly one that needs to be considered. More likely, perhaps, is that you may be having an infection that could potentially have very serious side effects and continue to make you ill. Some of your symptoms sound similar to a urinary tract infection, and others sound perhaps more related to other conditions that can occur from unprotected intercourse. While using protection can help to reduce the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy, it is not perfect. Given that you have so many different issues, it is important that you actually speak to a doctor. There are numerous free clinics if that is an issue, but having a doctor that you can follow up with on a regular basis, such as an OB/GYN, may be the most productive for you to help you understand what is happening. Please speak to a doctor shortly so that you can make sure there is no serious cause to your persistent symptoms.