ZocdocAnswersWhy do have pain in my bellybutton?

Question

Why do have pain in my bellybutton?

Im a 39 year old man and lately i've been having pain in my bellybutton,espeacialy i when im in the shower and i wash it

Answer

I would suggest that you discuss this issue with your primary care doctor, especially if the pain is severe or not improving. There are two general categories of possible causes of your pain. The first of these is that you have something going on on the surface of the skin, such as an area of local irritation or infection. This commonly can occur in the bellybutton, since it is a moist area of skin that tends to foster bacterial and fungal growth. If you notice that the skin inside your bellybutton is red or raw appearing, or if there is any sort of discharge, then this is likely what is going on. On the other hand, pain deeper inside the abdomen can also present initially as pain in the bellybutton, although the quality of the pain tends to be more deep and also tends to be painful more constantly and not just with washing or manipulating the area of skin. Importantly, for example, an inflammation of the appendix often begin as severe pain in the area of the belly button. If you have any other concerning symptoms, such as nausea or vomiting or fever, you need to get medical help right away. Please see your doctor.