Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How should you treat water blisters on top of the foot?"

ZocdocAnswersHow should you treat water blisters on top of the foot?


I am diabetic and am being treated for a wound on the bottom of my foot...after i showered this morning i noticed water blisters forming on the topof my foot what do i do to treat this


I would strongly talk to your primary care doctor, or which ever other doctor is treating your foot wounds, about this issue as soon as possible. People who have diabetes are at very high risk of complications like serious infections when they get cuts, burns, or blisters on the feet. This is both because diabetes decreases the sensation in the feet and also because it directly impairs wound healing. For this reason, almost every sore or injury to the feet should be checked out and treated by your doctor. I am not sure what the source of the water blisters on your feet is. However, there are several things that need to be ruled out. The most serious is that there is an infection in the sore that you have on the bottom of your foot and that this is spreading up and over the top of the foot. Even if this turns out to be just a simple water blister from rubbing of the skin inside your shoes, it still needs very close attention to make sure it is healing up properly. Please set up an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible to get this checked out!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.