Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should I see an OBGYN?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I see an OBGYN?


I am a 19 year old female and I have been experiencing very foul smelling urine the past few weeks as well as abdominal cramping. I do not know if the cramping is connected and sometimes I feel a sharp pain in my lower pelvic region. The smell is atrocious and makes me feel nauseated. I feel the sudden urge to urinate a little more frequently than usual. I drink enough fluids including water, so I don't think dehydration is the culprit here. There is no pain or burning when I urinate but this is out of the norm. Any input and what my next step should be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!


Yes, you should definitely see either your primary care doctor or an OB GYN doctor. This symptoms sound pretty concerning, and they need to be evaluated so that you can figure out what is going on. One possibility is that you have a urinary tract infection. Although you are right that, generally speaking, urinary tract infections cause pain or burning with urination, sometimes they may just cause a bad odor and dark, concentrated urine. Also the urge to urinate more frequently than usual is a common sign of a urinary tract infection. Your doctor will be able to perform some simple urine tests to see if this is a urine infection. If it is, it should be easy to treat with basic antibiotics, which your doctor can also prescribe for you. Additionally, if you are sexually active, it will be important to exclude the possibility that this is a sexually transmitted infection. Once again, your doctor will be able to do this for you with a close examination and some basic laboratory tests. If you do have a sexually transmitted infection, this also is generally easy to treat with prescription medications. Please schedule an appointment as soon as possible!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.