ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of sore or pimple is this?

Question

What kind of sore or pimple is this?

I woke up with a small sore or pimpe with white on the top on the outer part of the vagina. it;s right on the part of the I guess the lip of the vagina , not sure what it is it was two small sores or blister the head was white causing a little discomfort .... no history of sexual transmitted diseases. I am 48 year old woman with one partner had not sex in the last week

Answer

Whenever there is a sore or lesion of the skin or bodily orifice, it is difficult to know what these are without both extra information and, usually, some sort of either excellent description or an image of the lesion itself. For that reason, your primary care doctor or OB/GYN would likely have the best answer for you. That being said, there are some clues. If you have been in a monogamous relationship (and your partner has been as well) for some time, then there is a decreased risk that this is a sexually transmitted infection. Regardless, however, there are many of these that can have a long incubation period, and only present when there is some hormonal or immunologic change in your body that allows the sores to present. The fact that it is painful indicates that something infectious is probably at work. Given that there are many bacteria present on the skin of our bodies at all times, it could be that there was a minor tear in your skin that allowed these to get in and cause a local infection. Please speak to your doctor about your symptoms so that he or she can correctly diagnose and treat your problem.