ZocdocAnswersWhat to do for knee pain?

Question

What to do for knee pain?

I have pain in my knee. Lost 25 pounds. Knee felt better . Now the pain is back

Answer

Knee pain is one of the most common problems that family practice doctors and orthopedic surgeon/sports medicine doctors have to deal with. This is because of the different strain that the knee has to take, while retaining flexibility and range of motion through a wide range of activities every day. While you don't mention a history of injuries to your knee, that is an important thing to know. What you do mention is important, however, as it implies that the extra pounds you were carrying around added to your pain. From back pain to joint pain, one of the best things that you can do for your overall health is to lose weight. Not only does it decrease other problems, it can also help with pain from the constant strain on the bones and muscles. If your pain has returned, however, it indicates that there may be more to do. Your primary care doctor should be able to help you start with the basics, which will probably include some sort of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug after a physical exam of the knee. If this does not lead to improvement, the next step will possibly include imaging. Please speak to your doctor about your pain.