ZocdocAnswersWhat's causing these lumps?

Question

What's causing these lumps?

hi im 22 and i have a large lump on top of my vagina by the hairline n recently i realised that some more are coming out all over my vagina and they are under the skin but they dont hurt can u please tell me what these might be thankyou!

Answer

Any time that there are new spots or bumps in the genital region, there is the immediate concern that they could be related to sexual contact. If you have had unprotected intercourse in the recent past or have been with a new partner recently, it is quite possible that you could have contracted a sexually transmitted infection. These are quite common, and even those who use protection can be affected. Given your description of non-painful bumps that are under the skin, there are many potential causes. Some of these can be simple rashes and reactions to shaving or other local factors such as heat or the fabric of your underwear. Others can be more involved, and can indicate an infection of the skin itself in the area. These would usually be accompanied by some form of itching or irritation. Finally, the more sinister risk of a sexually transmitted infection would be diagnosed based on both your history of interactions as well as the appearance and behavior of the bumps. If these are persistent or demonstrate any other findings, it is important to speak with your doctor to make sure that they are not a sign of another infection. Please do so soon. Good luck.