Does herpes interfere with pregnancy?

i have herpes and me and my husband want to have children i have since been off birth control for 5 months and still can not get pregnant
Herpes does not generally speaking cause infertility. If you have active herpes during your pregnancy, this can put the baby at risk of infection, and therefore a history of herpes is always something that you need to mention to your OB GYN doctor. However, this doesn't have any bearing on infertility. Furthermore, after coming off birth control it often takes a number of months to have return of fertility. How long this takes depends on the type of birth control you were using; in the case of Depo-Provera shots, it may take more than a year to recover fertility, for example. Even after recovering fertility of birth control, most doctors do not generally consider a couple to have a potential fertility problem until they have been having regular, unprotected sex without conception for 12 months. Therefore, I suspect that you do not have a fertility problem but, rather, that it simply hasn't been enough time yet and that you need to keep trying. However, I would recommend that you discuss this issue with your OB GYN doctor. They will be able to provide you with more specific guidance and decide whether or not you need any workup for this issue.

Nearby OB-GYNs