ZocdocAnswersMy eye gets stuck and waters. Why?

Question

My eye gets stuck and waters. Why?

My right eye gets stuck sometimes at night or morning. My eye waters all through out the day. Sometimes I have white mucus in corner of eye and red. It has caused a wrinkle look under eye. I'm a 28 year old woman and this has been going on for 3 years. I've been to one doctor all he gave me was a eye drop and it doesn't work.

Answer

Epiphora is the name that doctors use to describe watery eyes with tears that are constantly building up in your eyes and can intermittently run down your face. While there are many causes, bacteria that can be treated with drops are only one of the causes. The fact that your symptoms have gone on for 3 years now indicates that you need to see a specialist to be able to fully identify what is causing your problem. In the absence of any vision changes or constant irritation, it is possible that you could have a problem with the tear duct itself. Sometimes, infections can lead to scarring that will make it impossible for tears to drain from the eye in the normal fashion. Another common cause of epiphora is constant irritation, as when the lashes of the eye rub against the sclera (the white part) of your eye constantly. If this is happening, it can lead to problems with your eye over the long term, and is a reason to be seen by your doctor sooner rather than later. Again, a specialist would best be able to help you. Please speak with an ophthalmologist about your problem for more help and solutions.