ZocdocAnswersI think my menisci is messed up. What can I do about it?

Question

I think my menisci is messed up. What can I do about it?

im 19. when i was seventeen my knee popped. ever since then its been giving me hell. this morning it feels particularly stiff i was wondering if you could tell me whats up.

Answer

I strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Any persistent knee pain or other joint symptoms really need to be formally evaluated by a doctor both to help you figure out what is going on and also to help you figure out what needs to be done about it. In people your age, knee symptoms can often be from sports and other knee injuries. These can include damaged menisci, torn ligaments, and other similar problems. When your doctor examines your knee they will be able to determine whether any of these potential injuries might be affecting you. If so, they may request additional imaging, such as an MRI, or they may refer you to an orthopedic specialist for additional evaluation. Even if there is no clear tear or structural damage in the knee, there are still many other potential causes for your knee pain, such as strains or overuse injuries. These injuries can often be treated very well by your primary care doctor with the use of braces, anti inflammatory medications, and physical therapy. Start by setting up an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible, and I hope that you are feeling better soon!