search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why are my arms and legs always tired?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy are my arms and legs always tired?

Question

Sore upper arms and leg muscles

Answer

I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Any persistent aches and pains or other types of symptoms do need to be evaluated formally by your doctor to help identify any potentially serious causes and also decide what kind of treatments might be needed. The potential causes for your aches and pain depend quite a bit on your age, what medical problems you have, and what medications you are taking. For example, in middle aged and older people, medications that are used to lower cholesterol levels commonly have aches and pains as a significant side effect. Similarly, there are a number of inflammatory and rheumatologic conditions that could be the source of your symptoms; particularly, in older adults, polymyalgia rheumatica is a major condition that should be ruled out. In both younger and older people, certain electrolyte abnormalities, such as fluctuations in calcium levels, can cause aches and pains. Similarly, hypothyroidism is commonly associated with aches and pains. Your primary care doctor will be able to perform a complete physical examination and they will be able to determine if you need additional blood working or other types of testing. Good luck!

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances