Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Fractured finger still sore. What should I do? "

ZocdocAnswersFractured finger still sore. What should I do?


I fractured my index finger three months ago and was in a plastic split for 3 weeks afterward Had it xrayed again and doctor said it was healing and I did not need to wear the split anymore. The fracture is on the top of the index finger right where it bends. He told me to make it move and exercise it and it would finish healing. Well It moves a little better now, it has about half the movement of the other index finger. If I try to move it more than that it hurts, it is tight in the morning, it is still slightly swollen when compaired to other index finger. And I cannot open a simple can of cat food using it or lift a hanger with jeans on it, those things cause pain on a scale of 1 to 10 about a 7, enough for me to stop. Any advice?


My primary advice is that you go back to see your primary care doctor, or whichever doctor initially diagnosed and treated the fracture, for followup. When you fracture a bone in the finger, this can often take quite a while to heal, mostly because the fingers are used constantly, so it is hard to keep the finger still enough for long enough to encourage healing. One possibility is that the splint may have been removed too early and that now things are not continuing to heal up as desired. Your doctor can examine the finger for any signs of this, and they may decide that you need another X-ray to take a look at how things are progressing. Sometimes, with particularly poorly healing finger fractures, it may be necessary to get specialist help from an orthopedic doctor. Your primary care doctor can help determine whether or not this is necessary in for case and, if so, they can make the necessary referral for you. In the meantime, your primary care doctor will also be able to give you some advice about which medications you should be taking right now to help with the pain and the swelling.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.