ZocdocAnswersMy right ankle joint is sore. Why?

Question

My right ankle joint is sore. Why?

i went on vacation to mexico after 2 days both my feet were so swollen and so veryvery sore it hurt to walk. The night i arrived home , went to bed and woke up and all he swelling was gone, except the tops of my feet were so sore. Now my right ankle is sore ?

Answer

There are several different potential causes of your symptoms. However, they are concerning, and they need to be checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor as soon as possible for help. If the ankles themselves were swollen (puffiness in the skin and tissue), then this is known as edema. Edema can be caused by many different conditions. Some of them are benign, such as varicose veins, whereas others, such as heart problems or a blood clot in the legs, are very serious. If, on the other hand, the swelling was more around the ankle joint itself, or if there was any redness or warmth over the joint, then this is more likely to be arthritis. Arthritis can occur suddenly for a number of reasons. The most serious cause would be an infected joint, usually accompanied by severe pain and fever. There is also a condition known as reactive arthritis, in which a mild infection such as the common cold will trigger a joint inflammation. Your doctor will be able to perform a complete physical examination and help you decide what additional testing or treatment might be needed. I hope you feel better soon.