ZocdocAnswersShould women who have PCOS omit dairy from their diet?

Question

Should women who have PCOS omit dairy from their diet?

I have PCOS and recently read a blog that said stay away from dairy and soy. But soy is not dairy. This leaves me confused

Answer

PCOS is one of the most common health problems, experienced by millions of women in the world. Unfortunately, because PCOS is so common, there is quite a bit of misinformation about how it should be treated, and I think you have stumbled across some of this. Part of what causes PCOS is an imbalance in the levels of different sex hormones in the body. As such, some people have proposed reducing dairy and soy intake (which have different forms of estrogens in them) might help to regulate the condition. However, there is no scientific evidence whatsoever to support this claim. On the other hand, it is well accepted that being overweight is a major feature of PCOS, and so in general healthy living, exercise, and weight reduction can all definitely improve PCOS symptoms - however this doesn't have anything to do with the ingestion of particular foods per se. PCOS is definitely a life-long condition, and it should be managed in consultation with either your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. Therefore, I definitely recommend scheduling a visit. They will be able to give you advice on management.