ZocdocAnswersAre these pregnancy symptoms?

Question

Are these pregnancy symptoms?

I'm late on my period and now im spotting,and can also hear an heartbeat in my stomach. Is this normal?

Answer

If you are very late on your period, it is always possible that this could be a pregnancy. It could also just be that the spotting you are now having mean that your period is about to start, although a bit late. The 'heartbeat' that you are hearing in your stomach is just the pulsation of your own heart, however, as a heartbeat with a pregnancy is not audible for a few months into the pregnancy. I recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor about this issue. They will be able to perform a complete physical examination and, if necessary perform a pregnancy test to help figure this issue out for you. If this turns out not to be a pregnancy, then they can also determine if there is any other concerning reason why your period is late (although, quite honestly, it is normal for periods occasionally to be a bit late). Also, this might be a good time to discuss contraception options with your doctor, especially if you do not wish to be pregnant. They can help you figure out what might be the best approach to avoiding this stress in the future!