ZocdocAnswersI got a blood sore in my mouth. What should I do?

Question

I got a blood sore in my mouth. What should I do?

I randomly got a little pimple size blister in my mouth and I popped it and blood came out is it something I should be worried about or no.

Answer

Most of the time, when little blood blisters form in the mouth, this is just from some minor trauma to the gums which line the mouth. This can occur for a number of reasons, but the most common ones are trauma from hard kinds of food, minor burns from hot liquids, or simply accidentally biting your gums with your teeth while chewing. Fortunately, most of the time, these blood blisters heal up just fine on their own without any specific medical treatment. The most important thing is to avoid picking or squeezing at the area, as manipulating the healing tissue will just cause more pain and could potentially delay healing quite a bit. I also recommend that you have the area checked out by your primary care doctor, especially if there is significant pain or if the area doesn't seem to be healing up very well. There are a few other conditions that can cause sores in the mouth in addition to minor trauma. These include canker sores and also herpes sores. Both canker sores and herpes sores will also tend to heal up on their own, but sometimes it is best to take a specific medication to speed healing. Good luck!