ZocdocAnswersI got over my period four days ago and am now discovering blood in my urine. What should I do?

Question

I got over my period four days ago and am now discovering blood in my urine. What should I do?

I am 21 years old, not on birth control(pill) but my period was on time this month and ended at the usual 5 days later. Four days later there's blood when I wipe and I've been experiencing some light abdominal pain. (There's been blood for the past couple of days) also I've been pretty stressed out.

Answer

If your period this month started and ended normally and was otherwise unremarkable, then I think it is unlikely that the abdominal pain and blood in your urine you are seeing now are related to that. Rather, I think it is quite likely that you have a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are extremely common in otherwise healthy women your age. Symptoms can be quite varied, but often include blood in the urine and abdominal pain. Other symptoms might include the sensation of needing to urinate all the time or cramping or burning when you do urinate. Also, getting a urinary tract infection does not usually mean there is anything else wrong with you and, fortunately, they are relatively easy to cure with simple antibiotics. What I would recommend is that you make an appointment to see your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor at your earliest convenience. They will be able to perform some simple urine tests to see if this is what might be going on. If so, they will be able to prescribe the necessary antibiotics for you, and you should start to feel better within just a few short days. Good luck, and make an appointment soon!