ZocdocAnswersWhat is causing my lightheadedness and near-fainting?

Question

What is causing my lightheadedness and near-fainting?

I am 30 yoa and I have severe lightheaded spells and near fainting. I have been through all kinds of test and everything show "normal". I am very healthy other than this. I am 30 yoa male and had a head injury in 2007 which I was knocked out from. I have done tilt-table test. / eeg / mri / ekg / stress test / you name it, I have done it and my family doctor and the doctors at the hospital in the town where I live always say "everything looks NORMAL" . I am here to say that nearly passing out once or twice a week and feeling lightheaded 3 days out of the week is NOT NORMAL!!! PLEASE HELP

Answer

I definitely agree with you that persistently feeling light headed is not normal, and it definitely seems to be interfering with your day to day functioning. It does sound like you have had a pretty good workup so far, which at least has ruled out all of the major serious problems, such as vasovagal fainting (tilt table test), tumors in the brain (MRI), seizures (EEG), and heart problems (stress test, EKG). So you should at least feel reassured by these findings, although that is not the same as saying that you are making up the symptoms or that there is nothing going on. Unfortunately, dizziness without an identifiable cause is a very common problem, and sometimes we cannot always specifically figure out what is going on. The one set of possibilities that does not seem to have been investigated yet is that you might be having something going on in your ear as a cause of your dizziness. You may want to see an ear, nose, and throat specialist, if you have not already done so, as they can evaluate you for those causes. If you do not already have an ear, nose, and throat doctor, I am sure that your primary care doctor will be happy to make the referral for you.