ZocdocAnswersWhy are my 8-year-old's nails brown?

Question

Why are my 8-year-old's nails brown?

Her fingernails and toenails are brown. it seem if there is no nail there

Answer

I would recommend that you take your daughter to see her pediatrician. There are a few different potential causes of this brownish discoloration, and they will be able to help you figure things out. For example, if all of your daughter's finger and toe nails are equally discolored, then it is more likely that this is some sort of chemical or dye exposure. Frequent use of certain nail polishes, for example, can result in some permanent discoloration of the nails. On the other hand, fungal infections of the nails can also cause thickening and discoloration, although this is somewhat less likely to affect all of the nails equally. Your pediatrician will take a close look at your daughter's finger and toe nails and help decide what are the most likely possibilities and, if necessary which treatments should be used. If this turns out just to be a staining reaction, no specific treatment will be necessary, as the nails will slowly grow in normally. On the other hand, if this turns out to be a fungal infection, it may need to be treated with a prescription anti fungal medication. Please set up a visit with your pediatrician at your earliest convenience.