search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why are my 8-year-old's nails brown?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy are my 8-year-old's nails brown?

Question

Her fingernails and toenails are brown. it seem if there is no nail there

Answer

I would recommend that you take your daughter to see her pediatrician. There are a few different potential causes of this brownish discoloration, and they will be able to help you figure things out. For example, if all of your daughter's finger and toe nails are equally discolored, then it is more likely that this is some sort of chemical or dye exposure. Frequent use of certain nail polishes, for example, can result in some permanent discoloration of the nails. On the other hand, fungal infections of the nails can also cause thickening and discoloration, although this is somewhat less likely to affect all of the nails equally. Your pediatrician will take a close look at your daughter's finger and toe nails and help decide what are the most likely possibilities and, if necessary which treatments should be used. If this turns out just to be a staining reaction, no specific treatment will be necessary, as the nails will slowly grow in normally. On the other hand, if this turns out to be a fungal infection, it may need to be treated with a prescription anti fungal medication. Please set up a visit with your pediatrician at your earliest convenience.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances