What causes my blood pressure and heart rate to rise just before a bowel movement?

i get flushed, nausea, and my heart starts racing before a bm. it all passes after the bowel movement. its not everytime, but always loose.
The most likely possibility here is that you are having something known as a vasovagal reaction. The vagal nerve is one of the most important nerves in the body, whose job is to regulate basic body functions, like blood pressure, heart rate, etc. In some people, a strong internal stimulus, such as a bowel movement and the intestinal contractions leading up to a bowel movement, can sometimes stimulate the vagal nerve, triggering all sorts of symptoms, like flushing, nausea, dizziness, racing heart and, even, passing out. This set of unwanted symptoms is called a "vasovagal reaction." I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. A vasovagal reaction is not in and of itself usually dangerous, especially if it is not happening frequently and if it does not lead to passing out or injury. However, it is important for you to have a complete physical check up to make sure that these symptoms you are experiencing are not related to another, more serious medical problem. For instance, your doctor can check for any evidence of a heart problem and rule that out. Make an appointment to see your doctor at your earliest possible convenience!

• Dr. Warren Dinges
    Dr. Warren Dinges MD, PhD
    509 Olive Way
    Seattle, WA 98101
  • Dr. Sam Warren
    Dr. Sam Warren MD, MS
    613 19th Ave East
    Seattle, WA 98112
  • Dr. Robert Goode
    Dr. Robert Goode MD
    8015 South East 28th Street
    Mercer Island, WA 98040

• Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021
  • Dr. Iosif Goldman
    Dr. Iosif Goldman DO
    7 Auer Ct
    East Brunswick, NJ 08816