ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have sudden rapid growth in one breast?

Question

Why do I have sudden rapid growth in one breast?

I'm 22 and my breasts have always been symetrical but about a week ago i have noticed the right was larger i shrugged it off but for the last few days ive noticed its grown a lot larger where now my bra fits funny. what should i do.

Answer

You are definitely right that it is very common to have one breast that is slightly larger than the other. However, it sounds like what you are experiencing over the last week or so doesn't quite fit into that category, as the right breast seems to have increased in size significantly. For this reason, I would recommend that you go to see your doctor, either your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor, who can perform a breast examination and help determine whether there is anything going on. The first order of business of course is to make sure there is not any sort of mass inside the breast, such as a cyst or a tumor, that could be causing the increase in size. This can usually be determined with a careful breast exam by your doctor. If any mass is found, additional testing will probably be necessary, such as an ultrasound of the breast to look at the mass. If no mass is found, then your doctor may decide to watch and wait and see what happens, especially if there is no pain or discomfort in the area and no clear cause can be found. Start by scheduling a visit today!