Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why are there small, white, painless bumps around my pubic area?

They are slightly raised and white slightly white. Started with 3-4 now I have 10-15 (in about a week). I tried to pop one, nothing came out. They are totally painless and don't cause me any discomfort. I don't think its an STD - as I have been with the same partner for 2 years now, I know she hasn't "gone elsewhere" for sex. We have been both tested before as well.
I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. There are several potential causes of these white painless bumps, and they can help you figure out what they might be with a careful physical examination. One possibility is that these represent a viral infection of the skin in the pubic area. There are two common viral infections that can occur here. One is genital warts, which are caused by the human papilloma virus. They other is molluscum contagiosum. Both of these viral infections can be treated with freezing or topical medications. It is important to make the diagnosis, because they are both contagious, and they could be passed to other areas of your body or to your partner. Another possibility is that these represent ingrown hairs, which occur when a hair turns back on itself and grows back down into the base of the hair follicle. Ingrown hairs are more common in those who shave the pubic area, but they can occur in anyone. They generally do not require any specific treatment, other than good skin hygiene, gentle exfoliation, and avoidance of shaving and other irritating skin treatments. Start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor today.

• Dr. Michael Flicker
    Dr. Michael Flicker DO
    9633 West Broward Blvd
    Plantation, FL 33324
  • Dr. Munib Daudjee
    Dr. Munib Daudjee MD
    12130 Greenspoint Dr
    Houston, TX 77060
  • Dr. Tanya Grun
    Dr. Tanya Grun MD
    921 Lakeview Blvd
    New Braunfels, TX 78130