ZocdocAnswersCan a woman still conceive with a dilated fallopian tube?

Question

Can a woman still conceive with a dilated fallopian tube?

I have a dialated fallopian tube? I was told by my doctor that it's only one tube. I have been trying to get pregnent for years now and still have not conceive. What should I do and will it cost me a lot of money?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble getting pregnant. It does sound like you are making good steps, however, if you have discovered that you have a dilated fallopian tube. This is usually found during a medical workup for infertility, which leads me to assume that you have been seeing a fertility expert. A dilated fallopian tube can be caused by several different things. However, the most common is usually some scarring in the tube, generally from a prior infection, such as pelvic inflammatory disease, which is one of the leading causes of trouble with fertility. The fact that this only affects one of your fallopian tubes is encouraging, but I think you will need to make an appointment with the fertility doctor who is managing your case to get their exact opinion on what it means and what the next steps are. They will be able to review all of the results of your infertility work up and interpret their significance for you. Based on what they say, the next step would be to determine what needs to be done. There are many different treatments for infertility, some of which might be covered by your insurance company. Your doctor can give you more specifics.