Why is my left ankle swollen, but not my right?

I am female, 37, 5'2 1/2" tall. I weigh 175. I do not smoke, drink, or do drugs. I eat well and I exercise occasionally. Last year my left leg got caught in my car door and left a nasty bruise. The bruise is gone but my leg has a soft spot and a mark where the bruise was.
I am sorry to hear that you had such a painful accident involving your left leg! Fortunately, it does sound like it has healed up more or less, but I would definitely recommend that you show the area to your primary care doctor. Sometimes, after an injury like this, there can be some residual scarring in the area, or even the formation of a cyst, as a result of the healing process. Many times, this does not require any specific medical treatment, although if there is any pain or if there is a growing cyst over the area, your doctor may feel that something needs to be done, including for example surgical removal of a cyst. From your question, there also seems to be some concern that your ankle is swollen. This also requires some evaluation, because it is not clear from the question if the swelling is exactly over the area where you sustained the injury or if the swelling is more generalized around the ankle. One potential cause of persistent ankle swelling would be a bad ankle sprain, which you could have suffered in the accident. Your doctor will be able to perform a complete physical examination of the area and make recommendations. Please see him or her soon.

• Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309