Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do about this pain?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about this pain?


I was in a car accident and my left side feels numb. i have sharp throbing pain in my arm


You definitely need to see your primary care doctor about this issue, if you have not done so already. Unfortunately, car accidents are very common and they often result in injuries; although most of these injuries are minor, sometimes they can be serious and they can require evaluation and treatment by your doctor. The first thing your doctor will want to do is try to localize a bit better your symptoms. You will need to describe in detail exactly what the car accident was like. For example, how fast were you going, where was the car struck, were you wearing a seat belt, was any body part directly struck, did you hit your head on the dashboard, etc. These historical factors will help your doctor narrow down the potential causes of your pain. One of the most common types of injury from a car accident is something called whiplash, which involves an injury to the muscles and ligaments in the neck. Whiplash typically causes stiffness and pain in the neck, but it can also cause other symptoms, such as numbness or tingling, typically from inflammation around the nerves exiting the spine. Your doctor will examine you closely and help determine what is going on and what to do next.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.