ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having excruciating pain and burning in my right shoulder?

Question

Why am I having excruciating pain and burning in my right shoulder?

I can barely sleep on my right shoulder and the pain and burning happens very frequently everyday almost all day. massaging does not help and neither does pain medicines such as ibuprophen. i am 18 and have had this pain for almost a year now.

Answer

I strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue, especially if you have not done so yet. Any persistent pain like this really needs a full evaluation to help figure out what the underlying cause might be. When you see your doctor, make sure to mention how this pain started. For example, if you sustained an athletic injury to the shoulder, that would be important to know, as would any history of a car accident. Second, make sure to describe exactly where the pain is (is it confined to the shoulder? or does it radiate down the arm or up the neck?) and what makes it worse (does your should hurt when you move it or when you exercise?). These pieces of information will help your doctor narrow down the potential causes of your pain. When your doctor examines you, they will be looking for any evidence that the shoulder joint itself is involved (pain, stiffness, inflammation) or whether the pain is more likely to be from compression of a nerve in your neck or running down your arm. Based on what they find, they can recommend the appropriate tests and treatment options. Good luck!