Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

My left leg from the knee down has been numb for three days. What's wrong?

For three days now my leg has been numb from the knee down. When I walk or use my leg, it works fine, no twitches or anything. When I touch it or my pants rub against my calf is when I notice it numb. When I wake up in the morning, the feeling is much stronger. I don't know what's wrong. I tried massaging it, and I've done stretches to try to get better blood flow, but it doesn't seem to help at all.
I would strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Any persistent symptom such as numbness, weakness, or pain in the leg should be evaluated by a doctor as soon as possible to make sure that it is not serious. There are several possible causes of your symptoms. First, this could be related to a nerve running down your leg. The most common type of nerve condition that leads to numbness in the leg would be a pinched nerve in the back, often accompanied by pain or a cramping sensation in the back or running down the leg. Numbness could also be caused by impaired blood flow to the leg or by swelling in the leg from, for example, a blood clot. Finally, sometimes muscle weakness or fatigue, especially after vigorous exercise, can also be perceived as numbness. Your primary care doctor will be able to evaluate you closely looking for any clues as to what might be going on. In particular, they will assess the muscle strength and sensation in your leg, they will look for any evidence of swelling or inflammation, and they will check your circulation. Based on what they find, they may want to order some additional testing.
Find doctors and make appointments online!
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)